Monday, January 15, 2018

Instant Pot Perfectly "Boiled" Eggs

I can bake. I can roast. I can do all kinds of things in the kitchen. Unfortunately, though, I could not boil eggs. Really. I tried every method available: my mother's method, my grandmother's method, and every method that I could find through Google and on Pinterest. I tried ice baths, baking soda, vinegar, and all different ranges of time for boiling or steaming. Nothing worked for me. I always had to fight the sticking shells during peeling that left my eggs full of tiny craters and completely useless for deviling. I would always end up throwing in the towel and crumbling them for egg or chicken salad. Until now.

My wonderful husband gave me an Instant Pot and lots of accessories for Christmas this year, and I've made it my goal to go through all the settings, pressure cooking my way to kitchen bliss. Honestly, I have not used the stove to cook anything since I received my Instant Pot. I've made stews, soups, beans, quiches, rice dishes, roasts, and cheesecakes. Everything has turned out perfectly.

Finally, after several weeks of cooking in this miraculous kitchen tool, I decided to use it to "boil" eggs. I scoured the Internet and ran across the "5-5-5 Method" and decided to give it a go. I was simply planning to make chicken salad, so the end result of this trial run didn't matter to me since the eggs were going to be crumbled up anyway. However, the result was so beautiful that I had to take a picture and share it with the world. I will never boil eggs on the stove again.



The 5-5-5 Method for "Boiling" Eggs in the Instant Pot


Pour one cup of water into the inner pot and place the trivet or steam rack into the pot.  Arrange one dozen eggs (I only had 11 eggs, so that's what I used) on the rack.  Close the lid and set the pot to cook on high pressure for five minutes.  Once the eggs are done cooking, allow for five minutes of natural pressure release.  Finally, following a quick release of the remaining steam, remove the eggs and place them in an ice bath for five minutes.  After their ice bath, the eggs are ready for easy peeling!

Hopefully, your eggs are as beautiful as these pictured above. Now I want to devil them instead of crumbling them for chicken salad!



No comments:

Post a Comment