Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Literary Conflict Study: #The Struggle Instagram Activity


Talk about high interest, student engagement, and alternate assessments! All I had to say was, "Instagram", and my students were hooked. The activity required each student to create a visual representation illustrating one of the many conflicts within the novel Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. They had to add hashtags describing the key ideas, characters, and types of literary conflicts expressed in their images. I printed and copied the template and made the digital copy available online for those students who wanted the color version of the file (they were responsible for printing that out on their own). They were allowed to either hand-draw their image or create a collage of digital images, and I received many of both types. I was easily able to assess their understanding of conflict, and it gave my brain and eyes a rest from grading multiple choice and constructed response tests.

I set up the display above on an empty part of my classroom wall. I laminated card stock then punched out the letters and pound sign/hashtag using the letter press we have at our district's media center. I printed the Instagram logo onto card stock and laminated that as well. I used twine tied to clothespins to create my hanging lines, and I hot glued it all to the cinderblock wall near the door. My students (yes, my high school students) were so excited to see their work displayed in the classroom! They so badly wanted to write tally-mark "likes" on their favorites, but I insisted they not block traffic into the room and promised that they'd be able to do that at a later time. They are requesting to do another one following the completion of our current novel study, and I'll probably oblige.

Get my Instagram Template here.

No comments:

Post a Comment